Monday, November 19, 2007

Our first turkey free Thanksgiving (am I a tree hugger?)

The minute we began work for Best Friends Animal Society we gave up meat. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I mean how could I on one hand work for an organization that promotes "kindness to animals" and then slap a big steak on the grill?

Since then I have really enjoyed not eating meat. I feel A LOT healthier, and I think I have lost weight (by doing nothing else except giving up meat). We occasionally eat fish, and to be honest eating out can be hard so sometimes the choices are very limited (for example my family took me to a chicken restaurant called Roasters last week).

Anyway we went off to St. George this weekend to buy supplies for T-giving. Jaime's parents are coming down and Jen and Daron and Jen's parents will also be coming over. We have the tofurkey's and I really am anxious to try it.

One thing I never want to be is preachy. I feel like we all have our own personal convictions in life, and who am I to say what someone should or should not believe in? I mean we should all feel for and advocate for companion animals....who couldn't love a dog? But I suppose there are those people who see turkeys as just dumb animals who don't feel like other animals. That's fine but I would have to disagree.


This is Luna

We will be adopting turkey's for our families this year. The Farm Sanctuary provides a great program to care for those birds that have been lucky enough to be rescued from breeding facilities and slaughter houses. You can even choose which bird you would like to adopt.

Oh I should also mention that my father now believes I am a tree hugger.

I guess I am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

luna is adorable!! great post. :)

woz

What you"re reading...

We met in 05, married in 07, and now just three months after that wedding we are going through yet another life change. We are both working for the Best Friends Animal Society, and living in Kanab. This is our story.

Check out our Flickr Photostream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from jon_dunn. Make your own badge here.

Contributors