Monday, July 16, 2007

Small Miracles

I cried on the way home today.

Probably not for the typical reasons a person might cry over while driving home from work. But as I wound down the dusty trails of the sanctuary to reach the canyon and the main road, the floodgates opened.

I received an email from which an excerpt follows, although I have changed the names of the actual writer & her son to maintain some degree of anonymity.




Dear Best Friends,


I just wanted to let you know that my son, Matthew, donated a Kuranda Dog Bed from your website. Matthew will be 4 on July 27th and instead of receiving a present this year, he decided to buy a dog bed for a dog that did not have a home. He decided to do this after our beloved dog, Sadie, passed away 2 months ago at the very young age of 5. Matthew and Sadie were best friends and loved playing in the stream together and going camping/hiking. Matthew would like a special dog to receive the bed and hopes that they enjoy sleeping in it as much as Sadie enjoyed sleeping in her special bed. We hope you all have a wonderful day! Keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Matthew’s Mom



Okay, so maybe I’m a little volatile from the heat and perhaps from the emotional nature of uprooting my life and moving away from all that I’ve known for many years. But that has just got to be one of the most sentimental things I have heard in a long time. It’s no miracle, (or is it?) but these things happen every day here. I can’t even begin to express how moving it is to be involved in something like this. And so for the moment, I cried.

No comments:

What you"re reading...

We met in 05, married in 07, and now just three months after that wedding we are going through yet another life change. We are both working for the Best Friends Animal Society, and living in Kanab. This is our story.

Check out our Flickr Photostream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from jon_dunn. Make your own badge here.

Contributors