Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Destiny Norton

It’s late--after midnight--and by the time this is posted the news I have will no longer be new. It will, however, be as unfortunate and sobering at whatever hour this is read. I am deeply saddened to have just learned that the body of five year-old Destiny Norton has been found in the basement of a neighbor’s home. A suspect has been identified and apprehended, but that is all I know at this time.

We were having a great evening visiting with neighbors, gathered with dogs and children underfoot, celebrating our “Lymanite” status and “Pioneer Day” as the biggest fireworks show in the state happens a block and a half from our street at Liberty Park. Ironically, this park is also a mere few blocks from where Destiny's family lives, and where she ultimately came to rest. This is a crime against nature and humanity, and it hits close to home for us literally and figuratively. And while I cannot claim to know the grief this family will face in the days to come, I know the discomfort and unease I feel sending my partner and best friend out into the night to uncover details pertaining to this unfortunate circumstance. Just imagining a personal loss of this nature chills me to the core. It is utterly incomprehensible. I also know that when and if I can finally retire to my bed this night I will hug my four legged fur babies tightly and insist they remain close by so I can watch over them, and they me.


Rest in peace dear child, as I pray your family may find solace in the love and support of fellow family members and friends in your absence, this dark hour.

No comments:

What you"re reading...

We met in 05, married in 07, and now just three months after that wedding we are going through yet another life change. We are both working for the Best Friends Animal Society, and living in Kanab. This is our story.

Check out our Flickr Photostream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from jon_dunn. Make your own badge here.

Contributors