Friday, August 24, 2007

Reality Bites

Today is my birthday and I was reminded of my own mortality first thing this morning. I wish a funny anecdote was to follow, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I was slated to join the interns on their last day as Jill (their advisor and my fellow office mate) was taking them on a hike at the sanctuary. I got up and set off early so as to be ready as we were scheduled to meet up fairly early. As I passed the interstate weigh station in the canyon and approached the shooting range, traffic came to an abrupt halt. I suspected there was an oversize load or a person hauling a boat that was jamming up the flow, but as we sat idly for a few minutes, which turned into five, then ten, I realized this was not a typical delay.

As I waited, I saw an ambulance pass us in the oncoming lane to where the traffic came to a head up above us. Another few minutes, another ambulance. Not looking good. A few people turned around in our lane and headed back toward town. I briefly considered doing the same, but figured I might as well stick it out. I soon saw someone I recognized coming toward me and approached his car as another employee of the sanctuary chatted with him from the driver’s side window. “Is there an accident?”, I asked, to which he answered “Looks that way”. He headed on in the other direction when I noticed several other sanctuary staff exit their vehicles and begin chatting along the side of the highway as we all waited. I finally got a clue and turned off the engine to my truck and joined them. Someone had muffins. We were all relieved we didn’t have coffee (so we would have to ‘go’) since we were out in the open and there wasn’t really a place to go to the bathroom. I also let the girls out of the truck, since they hadn’t been out to have their morning potty break either. The girls and I stood with the other folks and we chatted in the chilly air as we watched yet another two ambulances, three tow trucks, and a life flight helicopter arrive. After a long time, two of the tow trucks came back down the canyon, one with a large pick up truck with the front driver’s side smashed, and another with a van with a smashed front and rear.

After a while a man in an SUV drove by telling everyone it should only be another 20 minutes or so before things were cleared. We saw the helicopter fly away, and then the road was finally opened. A few hundred yards up the road, just around the bend from where we had been waiting, was the shooting range, and right in front of the turnoff was a mass of metal and plastic, and a mangled sedan with a tarp draped over it.

I don’t know a whole lot in life but I do know that having a tarp draped over a totaled vehicle at an accident scene is not a good sign. I said a silent prayer for whoever was in that vehicle (as well as the others) and continued up the canyon. Although I have my suspicions, I don’t know if anyone is deceased. I certainly hope not, but don’t know that that is the case.

Needless to say, I missed my hike but I received a good reminder in the value of life and appreciation for it. Apologies for the possible grim interpretation of this note but I'll fill you in on the joy of celebrating and receiving my birthday loot in another post.

No comments:

What you"re reading...

We met in 05, married in 07, and now just three months after that wedding we are going through yet another life change. We are both working for the Best Friends Animal Society, and living in Kanab. This is our story.

Check out our Flickr Photostream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from jon_dunn. Make your own badge here.

Contributors