Thursday, August 30, 2007

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I talked to my grandparents tonight. Well, mainly my grandfather. My grandmother is so very sweet, but can’t hear worth shit and gets confused very easily. My grandfather, who is one of my ultimate heroes, has been battling cancer for about two years now. Recently we found out the cancer is beginning to win again and he has been undergoing chemotherapy, which has taken a toll on his already frail body. He is a feisty old German, though, and has been fighting it tooth and nail all along the way and taking it all in stride. Let me just tell you it’s so hard to see someone who, for so long you envision as being so resilient and superhuman, getting knocked on their ass by something so invasive. It sucks beyond belief.

There is so much petty bullshit I have left behind in my life, and I couldn’t be happier about it, but no matter how much bullshit you let go of, you can’t stop the process of aging or death. So “get over it or die pissed”, as my mother would say. All I know is hold on tight to the ones you hold dear while you can because in the end we have nothing but time and it is so, so precious.

No comments:

What you"re reading...

We met in 05, married in 07, and now just three months after that wedding we are going through yet another life change. We are both working for the Best Friends Animal Society, and living in Kanab. This is our story.

Check out our Flickr Photostream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from jon_dunn. Make your own badge here.

Contributors