Friday, March 07, 2008

Accidents and Inspiration Lead You to Your Destination

Well, I am happy to report that I made it through the week. It’s one of the longest weeks I have endured in a long time. I did manage to make it back to the gym each day, including this morning for another brutal spin class. I hesitate to admit this, but I think I actually liked it. Seems like I am a sadist after all.

I wanted to sincerely thank everyone who has expressed concern about my mom and her health. She has been out of the hospital for about a week now with little improvement, but she is a stubborn fighter (see—I come by it honestly) so I have faith that she will, with time, make a full recovery. So thank you for all of your kind thoughts and well wishes.

Jon is en route to Austin for the SXSW geekville festival. You can read about that in his post below.

I was listening to one of my favorite albums on the way home from work tonight. Mary Chapin Carpenter is quite possibly one of the finest lyricists I have ever had the pleasure of indulging. She is so brilliant in so many ways. I felt compelled to post this song.


The Long Way Home – Mary Chapin Carpenter

You could be this man, he's got it all worked out
To the nth degree, no fears, no doubts
He'll retire at thirty to his big-ass house next to the putting green
Now he's got a picture in his head of the perfect wife,
Their perfect children, their perfect life
Nothing wrong with that, coming home each night to his cul-de-sac of dreams
Funny now how it all went by so fast
One day he's looking over his shoulder at the past
When everybody had to go, had to be, had to get somewhere
How did he forget about what got him there

Now you could be this woman, she's the CEO
She's got her power suits and her IPO's
She punched a hole in the ceiling years ago and she hasn't pulled back since
Now there's a gardener for the flowers, a cook for the meals,
A maid for the laundry, an accountant for the bills
A walker for the dog and a trainer when she feels the need to lose an inch
Funny now how it all went by so fast
One day she's looking over her shoulder at the past
When everybody had to go, had to be, had to get somewhere
Somehow she forgot about what got her there

Accidents and inspiration lead you to your destination

Or you could be the one who takes the long way home
Roll down your window, turn off your phone
See your life as a gift from the great unknown
And your task is to receive it
Tell your kid a story, hold your lover tight
Make a joyful noise, swim naked at night
Read a poem a day, call in well sometimes and
Laugh when they believe it


Funny now how it all goes by so fast
One day I'm looking over my shoulder at the past
Now everybody's got to go, got to be, got to get somewhere
Baby don't forget about
You really shouldn't forget about
Baby don't forget what got you there
I think it's what got you there
Yeah it's really what got you there


I know it’s long and you probably skipped reading the whole thing, so I italicized my favorite part. It’s probably really corny, but here’s me being reflective. Moving to Kanab and of course working for the animals was certainly one way of taking the long way home. The people settling into their cul de sac of dreams; the CEO that punched a hole in the ceiling – these are people I know; people I knew…might even have been me. But now here where I live there is red sand in my house, in my car, in my shoes. And to tell you the truth I really don’t think I’d have it any other way. Don’t get me wrong – this place is not perfect. Hardly! But I will say it’s a far cry from the trite cement jungle I have always known.

I am particularly fond of “…call in well sometimes and laugh when they believe it…” and “Accidents and inspiration lead you to your destination”. So much truth here. So much truth.

No comments:

What you"re reading...

We met in 05, married in 07, and now just three months after that wedding we are going through yet another life change. We are both working for the Best Friends Animal Society, and living in Kanab. This is our story.

Check out our Flickr Photostream!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from jon_dunn. Make your own badge here.

Contributors